Monday, April 21, 2008

I can draw stuff!

Yes, behold, I have the ability to arrange pixels of colour in Microsoft Paint in such a way as to create the illusion of imagery.

Just not, you know, anything good.


Well, now I get the distinct impression that the image has somehow turned out wrong, but allow me to explain: I am, once again, working on an adventure game. But I don't want to announce it on the forums designed to deal with this stuff, because then people will expect it to actually get FINISHED. And that's the last thing that I want. So if you'll all humour me by giving me an ego boost and posting some comment to the extent of "Er, yeah, that's really good or something" that will do nicely thank you very much.

If you want to actually see the drawings before commenting on them, it's probably best to save the image, open it in paint (or something) and then zoom in, because they're drawn for a very low resolution.

There's then the obvious questions: "Why the hell is there so much pink?" - that's because for sprites to be loaded into the program that I'm using, you need them to be on a background of a colour not used in the sprite itself so that the engine can make certain regions transparent and layer the sprites appropriately. And the second question, of course, is "Doesn't that fellow second from the left in the bottom row look a bit familiar?", to which my response would be *cough* *splutter* Maybe *cough*

And on the off-chance that anyone out there is interested in how I drew such criminally minute characters, the answer is quite simple: I drew them large, and then shrank them down and adjusted the details. With a few it turned out quite well (woman in pink, middle of the bottom row - looked TERRIBLE in the big version), but others were less successful. As an example, here's the 'big' version of Demented Hobo Criminal, the knife-wielding fellow in a South-Sydney Jimbo Jones cap:



*Sigh* He looks so much better...

Anyway, this has been the most pointless and poorly written entry in this blog thus far. I'll make some use of this space by telling Ewen now that I read his latest spoof today and found it highly amusing.

3 comments:

Youth of Australia said...

Oh, well, then this bp is entirely justified. Fawn over my brilliance.

I would like to review your artwork, I REALLY would. But the images aren't loading for some reason.

Jared "No Nickname" Hansen said...

Huh. How about that.

Maybe I could just email it. It's extremely low-pixel count artwork, did I mention that?

Youth of Australia said...

Well, I saw it. And, well. That post makes a lot more sense. You captured the YOA BC very well.